Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
Pediatric gastroenterologists & nutritionists in New Orleans
The Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition team at Children’s Hospital specializes in evaluating and treating infants, toddlers and school-aged children and adolescents with problems related to the gastrointestinal system. These problems include liver disease, esophageal reflux, feeding problems, metabolic disorders, inflammatory bowel disease, motility disorders, stomach pains, constipation and diarrhea.
Children’s Hospital’s Gastroenterology Department is home to three programs that are unique in Louisiana:
- The only interdisciplinary feeding team in Louisiana
- A Pain-Associated Disability Syndrome (PADS) Clinic for children disabled by chronic abdominal pain
- The only complete pediatric gastrointestinal motility center in Louisiana
Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures include:
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy for placement of feeding tubes
- Foreign body removal
- Esophageal varices therapy
- Esophageal, antroduodenal, colonic and anorectal manometry
- 24-hour pH-probe monitoring
- Gastrojejunal tube placement
- Breath hydrogen testing for sugar malabsorption and bacterial overgrowth
- Liver biopsy
- Nutritional support
The interdisciplinary team, consisting of physicians, dietitians, nurses, psychologists and occupational therapists, works closely to coordinate the most effective treatment plan for each child.
Sweat chloride test information
If a Sweat Chloride Test has been ordered for your child, click here to learn more about preparation and testing procedures.