COVID-19 and Kids
Resources for Families
It's been nearly a year and a half since the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Louisiana. Now, 'social distancing' and 'quarantine' are phrases we use every day, but as we adjust to our new normal way of life together, and begin phased reopening of Louisiana, we know you still have questions. The experts at Children's Hospital New Orleans are here to serve as a trusted resource for your family, and to answer your coronavirus questions.
What are the best things I can do to keep my children safe?
- Continuing to practice hand hygiene is a simple yet effective way to prevent the spread of germs. Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use antibacterial hand sanitizer! Click here for a hand washing “how to” and why it’s important.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Cleanse and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces, including your cell phone!
- Those who are ill are encouraged to stay home from work, school and other populated settings. Keep yourself and your family away from anyone who has any sickness.
- Continue to practice effective social and physical distancing.
- Wear a mask in public!
For more information on keeping children healthy, including watching for signs of illness, taking steps to keep your family well, and helping children cope with stress click here to visit the CDC's resource center.