Children's Hospital New Orleans Safe Trach Program
Tracheostomy has been a part of the Children's Hospital airway management programs for more than 30 years. In 2018, Children's Hospital New Orleans joined the Global Tracheostomy Collaborative with the mission of improving tracheostomy safety for children in Louisiana and the Gulf South.
Today, the hospital's Safe Trach Program includes inpatient care and personal family instruction from the Safe Trach Team. For many of our patients transferred in for Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Services, this can mean working towards decannulation during the stay. Our Safe Trach Team works side-by-side with our Respiratory Care, Pelican Krewe, Case Management and Social Work specialists to enable the safe transition to home care routines.
Long-term multi-specialty care for children with tracheostomy (with or without ventilator) is offered through our outpatient Tracheostomy Clinic. Located in the 1st floor ENT Clinic, each single clinic visit provides our patients the opportunities to receive dedicated, patient-centered care from our team of pediatric specialists.
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Therapy
Our on-site Audiology booth and specialists, Polysomnography Lab, nutritionists, social workers, and the phlebotomy team services serve as additional care resources available to our patients onsite at the hospital. Tracheostomy Clinic services are offered to children and adolescents regardless of the origin of the tracheostomy.
Our Tracheostomy Clinic services include:
- Tracheostomy tube management and wound care
- Determination of readiness for decannulation pathway
- Airway management, including reconstructions
- Pulmonary disease management
- Voice and speech/language developmental support and progress evaluations
- Oral feeding/swallowing and nutrition developmental support and progress evaluations
- Ear health and hearing support
- Home health nursing continuity
- Home medical equipment endorsement
- Developmental milestone achievement assessment and rehabilitation plan development
- Home and community safety education