We’re glad you’re interested in learning about healthcare at Children’s Hospital New Orleans (CHNOLA). As a teaching hospital it is part of the foundation to foster involvement in the healthcare industry.
Please review the information below to determine if your interests align with our requirements to participate in a career job-shadowing opportunity. We currently offer shadowing from Monday – Friday between the hours of 7a.m. – 5p.m. We have a variety of shadowing opportunities with physicians, nurses, Research, Radiology, Respiratory, and therapies, including physical, occupational, speech, music, recreation, and Child Life. Whether you already have a sponsoring staff member or will need us to match you with one, you will need to complete all required documentation. You will need to complete the Career Shadow Application, read the Career Shadow Orientation Handbook, and complete the last page of the Orientation Handbook, which is the Career Shadow Contract.
Our priority is the care and safety of our patients; therefore, it is the expectation that students and staff strictly adhere to our policies. Prospective students will only be allowed to participate at CHNOLA if they follow all the appropriate procedures. The Career Shadow Coordinator has the ultimate authority on approving or denying student access to CHNOLA based on the information provided.
Minimum Age Requirement
: 16 years old
Dress Code Policy: click here
to download the HR policy and procedure
How to Apply
: Documentation must be submitted together, a minimum of 30 days prior to requesting shadow date. The student must be able to shadow M-F 7a.m.-5p.m. (times will vary depending on availability of staff). A background check (click here
to download the form) will be conducted for applicants 18 years and older.
- Complete the Career Shadow Application online or fill out a PDF application.
- Read Career Shadow Orientation Handbook
- Complete Career Shadow Contract (last page of the Orientation Handbook)
- Copy of vaccination records, up to date on all vaccinations. Documentation of two MMR vaccinations and two varicella vaccinations or titer test for the measles, mumps, rubella and varicella. If there is no documentation of two vaccinations or titers are not positive for the measles, mumps, rubella and varicella, then further vaccination is needed.
- Current TB test (TB tests are required annually) or Blood Assay Test within last 6 months
- Proof of Annual Flu Vaccination (Flu vaccine)
- Complete the background check (click here to download the form) for applicants 18 years and older
Foreign Applicants: Anyone applying who isn’t a citizen of the United States will be required to provide the following documentation in lieu of a background check:
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Visa
Applications will not be accepted if any of the above documents are not submitted all together at one time.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-896-6799.